Monday, October 24, 2011

Blog#7 Operating Systems, digital images and hexadecimal

In last week’s class, we discussed different kinds of operating system and how they work differently. One thing I found interesting is that, even though all the operating systems have similar functions, the way they were built was totally different. Therefore the applications for different systems are different as well, for example an application that can run on Windows can’t run on Linux or iOS.
                These basic ideas of operation systems make me think about how my app would be like. There are two options of how my actual customer-terminal device would work. One idea is that I can build an app and simply allow customers to download to their smartphones; another option is to build my own device which only provides parking navigating services.
                Considering the high starting capital of the second option, I think it would be a better idea to just build an app that would run on smartphone operating systems. The app would integrate with the Google map app and the GPS system, and it would be available on its website for customers to download. Customers would need to register before they can download the app, and along with the app, customer would need to purchase a RFID.
                Since there are so many operating systems, my app would not only run on certain operating system. The app would basically compatible with iOS, Android and other mobile phone operating systems. However, since Windows occupied about 80% percent of the operating system market, we would not limit our app to mobile phones; we would definitely build a Windows version app for the PC users to expand our market.  Moreover, to enhance the functions of the app, I would make my app an open source like Linux and android, just like them I would allow program writers to modify the app to make it more fit the customers need.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Idea. Integrating Google Map and GPS would make the navagation application of mobile phone more convinient. However, I wonder why the customer need to purchase RFID for having this application.

    ReplyDelete